A week before, walking downstairs to check on the kids, we noticed a HUGE puddle of water right outside of our furnace room on the carpet. We thought this was odd, and checked out everything, and it all looked ok. We found a water bottle sitting next to it, so we thought that one of the kids had gone downstairs with some water and Missy Moo probably got to it and dumped it out. It did seem like more water than there should have been, but with nothing else in sight, we wrote it off as that.
We started to get a smell in our home after a few days had started to permeate throughout the whole house. I also remembered we had this same smell the year before in the spring. We thought, when it first came a year ago, that we had an animal crawl inside one of the walls in the basement and die. It was a horrid smell, and I was getting really sick from it. We had our Foreign Exchange Student coming, and they were staying in a basement room, so I knew I had to get this mystery solved because I couldnt make them sleep downstairs with that smell. I asked Enrique to go and look and investigate for me, because I couldnt go down there without gagging. As he was heading downstairs I asked him to smell the place where we had the water spill because maybe it was coming from there. I started tidying upstairs, and Eric came up and told me it was that spot in the carpet. I asked him to check everywhere else around that area, to make sure it wasnt coming from another place as well. He went and checked, came back upstairs and told me it was bad. Well, come to find out, we had a flood in our basement. To make a longer story as short as possible (since we all know I like to give too many details, LOL) we have mold again in our home. Some people came Monday, and contained the room, and started to remove it all for us. We still had the girls come, but it has been an adventure dealing with one less room and all of the furniture/boxes/stuff had to be put in other parts of the house. We are just now going through the process of figuring things out to get it put back together, but what a mess! We found out that we had two things wrong.....one that the foundation of the home was lower than the ground outside, and two that the guy who did our basement glued the drywall directly to the foundation. We have to now put in studs and insulation (no wonder why it was so cold down there all the time) and it isnt going to be a quick job. I also think I should get an award for getting mold twice in a year and a half. LOL But, no such luck! LOL
Here is what our basement study looks like now. We have to get new carpet because the carpet was ruined as well, and it went part way into the hall.


You may notice the little door in the above picture. We had storage under there, which partly got ruined because it was flooded there as well. I am looking forward to this getting done in the next couple of weeks so that I can have my bedroom and fun room back to normal!

1 comment:
Ugg! How frustrating, especially since the students were coming after the unfortunate flood. Well, you have a pretty good attitude, all things considered. I wouldn't be quite as calm about it, but at least you're getting it taken care of.
Post a Comment