6/18/10
These were the pics from our room in Philly... gorgeous!
And, we saw the Temple on our way... it just came out of nowhere, just like the San Diego temple does.
Then we went on to DC. Now, I will tell you a few things I learned while in DC... it is CRAZY driving there (at one point Angie and I were really both frustrated because it was so confusing, and I kept messing up on the exits and turns... it was the messiest driving I have ever done), it is also NOT smart to try and get a Taxi with a credit/debit card, and do NOT wear flip flops when you are there. Also, I guess there are more things to learn. Even if they say no camera's allowed, take it anyway. We could have had a GREAT photo op at the White House... but....
When we arrived we had very little time to get to our first tour so we sped walked to there, and we barely made it. I also had flip flops on (one of the lessons you will be hearing). Now, when in NY and Philly I was smart enough to wear my walking shoes everywhere, however, when we left Philly I didn't think about the fact that I was not going to have time to change, so... flip flops it was. I got massive rub marks because of walking so fast on the top where the sides touched the inner part of my left foot, and one had started on the right as well, but... I could manage. But, after our first tour, I realized that I had NO chance of changing before we got to our second tour of the White House. We also got out of our tour of the Supreme Court, we realized that we had 30 minutes to walk 15 blocks. Now, we could have done that, but we heard that the Metro was going to be faster, so we sped walked back to the Metro (this is where we parked initially), and then went down to the subway. To our luck (or lack of) the Metro Card machines were not working. We tried 3-4 different times, and people around us were having the same luck with having the system not work for them either. I finally just told Angie that we had no time for waiting, and we had to go get a cab because we were at T minus 10 minutes. And, still a long way to go on the crowded streets, we were hoping we could get a cab that accepted credit cards. We got out to the front, and there was a line of about 50 people. Luck was on our side this time, as the line was moving fast. We were now at the front of the line and let the man know we needed a cab that would take credit cards, and he said, ok, and then told us of the flat fee. We let him know we didnt care just needed to get to our tour. He then placed us in a cab, told the man we were flat rate, and the man kept saying that he didn't do credit cards, and they (the cab driver and the man running the line) fought about this for 30 seconds. Then he had us get out, and told us to go stand in the shade because he didn't want us to die of heat stroke. Lesson 2 was now being learned. Then this is when we notice the man running the line had maybe 3 teeth in his mouth. He started yelling "Cwedit Cawd! Cwedit Cawd!" and we stood there in awe at the moment that we were living in. Then this lady pulled up. She took us in, told us it would be $7, but we then told her it was going to have to be on credit card. She told us that we didn't want to do that because it was a flat rate of $20, and Angie told her we didn't care, we just needed to get to the White House because we were supposed to be there in one minute for our tour. The lady pulled out and then started in on her 'Motherly Lecture' about not having cash with us, and asking us where it was. We told her that it was in the car, and she continued on with her lecture on how we would get back to the car, and it would be gone because someone would have stolen it. She asked us where we were from, we told her Utah. Angie said that at that moment she was probably thinking we were stupid white girls from Utah, and I can't disagree with her. She told us to look at what she had to deal with (the traffic), and then told us that she hated to tell us this, but we may miss our tour. Angie and I just sat there having been thinking this for the last 10 minutes, but we still were hoping... She then started in on us on our getting back to the Metro and how it would happen if we had no money, and we told her if we had to we would walk, but we didn't have time to walk between these tours. Angie then asked her if she usually went to the Metro to pick up people, and she said No. She just happened to be around, and decided to stop. I then told her she was sent. Her mood changed... she then told us to pay attention to the street we were on, and that we were going to be walking this street back, and not to turn... it would take us right back to the Metro. We had a bit of chit chat, but as we stopped at a stoplight she asked us if we could run fast. Angie and I both said, yes, and then she said, pointing to a corner, "That is where you want to go. That is the entrance for the tour. Get out." I went to hand her my card, and she just yelled at me to get out of the car. A couple times she did... so, I started crying, and told her thank you. Well, here is another part of Lesson #1 that I learned about wearing flip flops... as I was getting out of her cab, she had a bump in her backseat in between the seats, and one of them (the left one that had first given me problems) broke at the hookup between the toes...

and so, here was Angie and I RUNNING, and I looked like a gimp, because, honestly, walking in a broken flip flops is hard enough, but, running... a whole new ball game! We got up to the gate, and we were in awe at our Angel in Disguise as a Taxi Cab Driver, and were hoping that even though we were 10 minutes late, we would make it in. WE DID!!! We were so excited! So, our tour went on. We didn't get to see the whole thing, but we saw the Blue room, the Red room, the Green room, and a few others. It was amazing. We were then taken out to the front of the White House. This is where Lesson #3 was learned. We were told that we could not take our camera to the Supreme Court, or to the White House, but at both, people were taking pictures. This was very upsetting at this point. But, we saw a man taking pictures of his family, and I just asked him if he would help us by taking a picture of us with his cell (since that is what he was using), and sending it to my cell phone so we could have one. He said he honestly didn't know how to do that, and it was a business phone, so he couldn't. So, Angie and I stood there talking for a moment about what we could do. Then the wife said that her daughter could do it for us. HOW LUCKY!! We were seriously blessed this day! And exhausted! hahaha Here are the pics of us outside the White House tour.
and so, here was Angie and I RUNNING, and I looked like a gimp, because, honestly, walking in a broken flip flops is hard enough, but, running... a whole new ball game! We got up to the gate, and we were in awe at our Angel in Disguise as a Taxi Cab Driver, and were hoping that even though we were 10 minutes late, we would make it in. WE DID!!! We were so excited! So, our tour went on. We didn't get to see the whole thing, but we saw the Blue room, the Red room, the Green room, and a few others. It was amazing. We were then taken out to the front of the White House. This is where Lesson #3 was learned. We were told that we could not take our camera to the Supreme Court, or to the White House, but at both, people were taking pictures. This was very upsetting at this point. But, we saw a man taking pictures of his family, and I just asked him if he would help us by taking a picture of us with his cell (since that is what he was using), and sending it to my cell phone so we could have one. He said he honestly didn't know how to do that, and it was a business phone, so he couldn't. So, Angie and I stood there talking for a moment about what we could do. Then the wife said that her daughter could do it for us. HOW LUCKY!! We were seriously blessed this day! And exhausted! hahaha Here are the pics of us outside the White House tour.
In front of the fountain...
6/19/10
This squirrel really wanted something to eat... he was trying to Army crawl over to us. hahaha
It was a Victory for Obama for Prez! : p
And, I had to give my speech. My fellow American's...
Looks like they all liked it! hehe
At my desk signing some important papers.
Angie wanted to play... hahaha
Boy Scouts of America
Motto
Washington Memorial
I had to get in a couple funny pictures while I was at it! ;)
Can't... knock... it.... OVER! *sigh*
They were preserving the Three Servicemen Statue.
I thought it was pretty cool!
I don't know if I am related to these people, but I would love to find out!
Another view of this amazing wall...
I think it is worth it to pay respect.
This was the locator book to tell you where the spot is that has the name you want to find.
And, it looked like something pretty important was being planned here... ;)
Gorgeous shot!
This was in front of The Treasury Department.
And, I had to make a face... ;)
6/20/10
We went to the Holocaust Museum today. We talked about how crazy it was that people actually think that it never happened. Once going through this, I only made it about half way, and then it was too overwhelming for me. I needed to just leave. Such sadness filled my soul to know that people were treated with such cruelty. And so many people lost because of fear. Still in awe at the brutal conditions these men, women, and children lived in, and died in.
Here is the portion of the tile wall...
Most of the tiles.
One of the tiles that caught my attention.
These were some strangers that we decided to race. It was fun! :)
This was the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
On our way into the Arlington Cemetary, I found a helicopter leaf, and used it for what I remembered doing with the kids I nannied in NY... we became Rhino's! ;)
Changing of the Guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Part 2
Ford's Theatre
This is the pillow that President Lincoln used once he was shot.
No one sits in this booth anymore. It stands as a memorial for Abraham Lincoln.
Interesting enough, seat 107 is where the President (or any previous President) sits when he comes to anything at Ford's Theatre... and it was MY seat! I was floored to think about how many Presidents had sat in this very seat before me.
Here is me in my seat! :)
This is the bed that President Lincoln died in. It was surrounded by glass to protect it.
These were seats that I am guessing loved ones sat in waiting for Lincoln.
This tunnel is where they brought Lincoln into the room. They didn't want to take him up a couple flights of stairs, and this led around to the back of the house where there weren't many stairs to keep him steady, and ultimately where Lincoln breathed his last breath.
We even got to catch some practicing going on for what we guessed was some ceremony that was
going to be happening. :) It was pretty neat!
Then we went to the Pentagon. Our tour guide was so cool, and my friend and I were the most talkative in our group. Needless to say, it made for a good tour.
6/22/10
Air and Space Museum
I don't know that I would have fit into ANY of these seats!! SO glad that seats are bigger now! :)
Smithsonian National Museum of American History had an awesome set... Julia Childs Kitchen!!! I loved it!
Her library of Cooking Books...
These were her pots and pans she used...
I SO agree with this, although there are many people who would disagree with this statement! haha
Cars have come a LONG way...
And here is my dream car! haha
This is just like the subways look.
And, the inside as well.
And, you must always remember... (sorry it is soooo dark!)
The tube has come a long way as well!
Look at how massive this is compared to the horse!!!
The Apollo!!! I found the one thing in there I wanted to see most...
That is right! Michael Jackson!! Amazing! (Keep your hateful comments to yourself! ;)
His Fedora... still LOVE this hat, and only a few people can get away with it.
We were so excited because we got to go and see The Star Spangled Banner!!
We couldn't take pictures of the flag, but it was AWESOME!
Inaugural Dresses of First Lady's past...
And here is the current First Lady's Inaugural Dress.
I do think it is beautiful!
Now here is the dress of a First Lady all in her own rite!
Miss Carol Burnett!
Dorothy's Ruby Slippers
Kermit the Frog, here!
DUMBO!!! :)
Lincoln's Top Hat
He and the Mrs. Lincoln's Attire
C3P0All in all, it was a GREAT vacation, and a FUN trip.
We keep saying our next trip is going to be to Hawaii... we shall see on that one. ;)
6/25/10
It is Cman's BIRTHDAY!!! :)
Making a wish...Time to blow out those candles.
And the big bite!
Say Cheeeese!
He had SO many presents that it was too much to take pictures, but he had an excellent Birthday!
What an amazing month it was (SORRY for the long blog!)





















4 comments:
I love looking at your pics from DC. I went there when I was a senior in high school, and I really want to go back to see everything again and see the stuff I missed. Love you!
Your trip looks like it was a blast! And wow what a crazy story you had (and what a nice cab driver for giving you a ride without charge). I can't believe it's already almost been a year since you were all out visiting us - time truly flies!
I'm sure you had a great time reliving your trip while doing this blog. Lots of exciting times.
Thanks for putting this together!
Post a Comment