We want to keep this blog public, and take steps to keeping our family as safe as possible from internet dangers. Please do not use our real names on here, or on any public blog.
Thanks! The Blue Ribbons

Thursday, October 29, 2009

The 7 Day Challenge: DAY 3


Your spouse calls and announces their boss is coming over for dinner (or your boss invites themselves over for dinner TONIGHT!). You have no WAY to go to the store, and you have to come up with an impressive meal from what you already have in your home.
THESE LIMITATIONS AND TASKS ARE ALL NEW, THE FIRST 2 DAYS LIMITATIONS DO NOT APPLY!
For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
You can use whatever food you have in your house (includes fridge, freezer)
The meal has to have an appetizer
The main course can’t use meat because the boss is a vegetarian (your meal CAN use milk, and dairy)
You have to have at least 2 side dishes for the dinner
The meal has to have a dessert
You have to get other family members to help you make the meal and or set the table “NICELY” (share your pictures on facebook)
Your house probably should be clean (even though that’s not a “food storage” thing)
Brainstorm what other types of “everyday” emergencies you may have, and how you could better prepare for them
ADVANCED “FOLKS” (for anyone who feels up to it)
You only have 1 hour from when you start to finish making the meal
REMEMBER, TOMORROW’S LIMITATIONS AND TASKS WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. How long would you have lasted under these conditions?

Facebook Notes:
After literally spending most of the day trying figure out what to make (we have what seems like nothing here at the house because of not getting to the store), I settled on an appy of Artichoke Hearts Dip with saltines, Spinach and Mozzarella Cheese Ravioli with Garlic Cheese Points and Fried Cheese Sticks as the meal. It was a VERY rich meal. We ended dinner with Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies to celebrate Fall coming, and the boss was pleased! I do have to say that we had 2 new foreign exchange students come in today, so this was a meal to set the precedence for them... I am in for a LONG 10 days! hahaha










My house was clean and my kids set the table nicely! I told them they could use the nice table cloth and nice glasses (which doesnt happen often because I worry about the table cloth getting stains, or the kids dropping the glasses) and they were so good at helping clean the house and setting the table.

My hubby and I talked in the car for 45 minutes about different everyday disasters and consequences and everyday emergencies and what we would do. Our emergencies probably werent hard emergencies, but I tend to really go crazy if things dont go how I think they should (I am a perfectionist), so this is a great thing for me to be doing, and I am liking it!

As a side note, even my kids have loved this challenge, and have woken everyday and asked me, "Hey mom! What is the emergency for today??" They love it as much as I am! Is it ok to love a disaster??? hahaha!


An idea to pass on:
You can can your beans from dry to cooked in 75min for pints and 90 min for quarts in jars in the pressure cooker. Then you can leave them on your shelf and when you need them in a pinch all you have to do is open the jar and warm and you have beans for chili, bean burritos, soups, and more.

No comments:

Food Storage Made Easy


Food Storage Made Easy

Swidget 1.0 5