We want to keep this blog public, and take steps to keeping our family as safe as possible from internet dangers. Please do not use our real names on here, or on any public blog.
Thanks! The Blue Ribbons

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Words of Warning...

I have been a part of the internet for about 6 years now. I have come to understand a lot about it, and the dangers of the internet... I actually had someone find out information about me, and I was surprised at how much this person found out about me... I had put *some* information out there in several different places. I had no idea at how it could all be used and I could be identified from it, and this person didnt know me at all. After searching, they knew about my religion, about my sons name, about my hubbys name, about more things than I want to acknowledge. This person actually taught me a valuable lesson, and is actually a good friend. And I have to say that right now at this time, I am not perfect in being careful with what I put out there (as a matter of fact I went through this blog, and found spots of where I messed up, and changed it so as to not have the info on the internet for all to see), but I try to be careful after this experience years ago, and now after reading a few things about it, and re-educating myself on this.

I keep this blog for my personal benefit, but also because I have so many family and friends all over the world who like to know what we are up to at times. As of recently, I have a lot of family and friends who have gone private. I think that this is a great idea, although I dont feel it is for me with all the people that come and check in on us... but I do want to address the dangers that are lurking out there, and possibly help all of you understand a little more about the bad of the internet.

Internet use is fun. And blogging is a blast to do, however there are some extreme dangers to blogging (or any other thing you may do on the internet). This is why I have nicknames for my kids, and for my hubby and I. I also try to be vague in my descriptions of what I do and where I live. Doing this invites too many disasters. I had a friend post two great sites to go and read all about this... Thess sites talks about some of the problems that can arise from blogging.

http://vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com/2005/03/dangers-of-personal-blogging.html


http://www.bloggingmommies.com/safety.php


I am not posting this on here to make anyone feel unsafe, or worried... after all, I know that blogging can be done safely without too much info. I also know that I am not going to be able to prevent everything from happening, but I feel like I can be preventative with what I put on here for others to read and see, making it harder for certain things to happen.

I am asking for a little bit of help in this crusade I have in keeping my family safe. PLEASE do not address me or my family by our names. I try hard to keep these underwraps to the world wide web. Am I being too worried... maybe, but I believe you can never be TOO careful. I also want you to know that if you want to change the link I have to you, over to nicknames, just let me know and it will be done. I dont want you all the feel that I am putting you in jeapordy by putting your names on here. I will change it if you want it changed. :) Within the next couple of days, I will be taking the liberty of going and erasing comments with my name, my hubbys name, or my kids names in them. I am sorry if this hurts anyone, but it is not meant to be for that purpose. I wish I could just edit the comments, but blogspot only allows me to delete.

I hope that you all have some happy and safe blogging!

4 comments:

Latter-day Saint Mom said...

changed our blog site to myldsfam.blogspot.com. decided not to use our last name. thanks for the info.

kdance said...

I've been debating going private--I just like to have old friends discover me, though! I will be much better at not using your names :)

Unknown said...

Some good tips. Do you think that people other than those I invite could find me?

Jen said...

Great advice! Hopefully you can tell who I am from my picture! I don't wanna mention your name or where I found you, but it made me happy to see you!! :) Feel free to write me at my email on my profile. I was gonna write you, but didn't have a profile for you :( it's good to see you're doing well :) You're kids are ADORABLE!

Food Storage Made Easy


Food Storage Made Easy

Swidget 1.0 5